Monday, February 21, 2011

Busy Weekend

I returned yesterday from a busy 3 day, 3 concert, 550 mile tour through central Michigan as a member of the Bethel College jazz ensemble. For those of you who don't know, I am a life long trombone player and a huge fan of jazz. So when Bethel was having trouble finding enough trombone players, I got the call and have been thoroughly enjoying reliving some of my college days vicariously. The kids were great and very talented and seemed to put up with me just fine, even though I'm easily old enough to be dad to them.

I took my new Cannondale back to the Spin Zone last Thursday afternoon for my free adjustment and to make sure it was road worthy for the trip. They surprised me by taking the bike immediately to start working on it. I had it back an hour later ready to go.  It's ready for the trip, even though my rear derailleur had been slightly bent for some reason and made shifting more of an adventure than it needed to be; probably due to having to put it in the back of my sedan over the last two months to find dry, snow-less roads to ride on, since our housing division was always a mess. 

After getting an early morning inside ride on Friday (before leaving on concert tour), I went to log my miles on my computer (something I have been doing for the last 12 years and almost 26,000 miles. This time, however, when I opened the spreadsheet, everything but 24 days of riding for the last 12 years was gone!! This was not a good feeling considering I had to leave in one-half hour. Fortunately,  I was able to find a back up copy of the spreadsheet and rebuild what was missing. Unfortunately, this is about the third or fourth time this happened and I still don't know what it causing the problem. Maybe it's because I am using Open Office instead of MS Excel. Gee, I hope not. Stay tuned.


1 comment: