Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bloom and Zoom

I rode in Elkhart's inaugural Habitat for Humanity Bloom and Zoom ride today. There were about 140 riders for their first ever ride. That's a pretty good first time turnout. It was a nice ride and the weather cooperated for 94 of the 105 miles I rode. Then it started raining which actually felt good. The ride took us past many of the "Garden Quilt" flower gardens in that area and along the St. Joe river. It was hard to maintain a good pace because there was a lot of neighborhood riding and even about 3 miles of unpaved bike path (compliments of the Pumpkinvine bike path in Goshen). Nonetheless, it was a great ride and I rode the 105 miles in exactly 7 hours total elapsed time. My actual time on the bike was 6:21:36 and my average was 16.5. I'll take that!

Next up is the Blueberry Bicycle Cruise in Plymouth on Sept. 3. Nan and I will ride part of it on the tandem and then I will tack on more miles on my bike and try to get another century in. I just passed the 5000 mile mark for the year with the Bloom and Zoom and have 6000 as a goal for 2011. I think I can reasonably get that before year end.

1 comment:

  1. The longest route in 2011 was 62.5 miles (100k). But we have added a 100-mile route in 2012 coming up this Saturday. The Bloom & Zoom Century has some long beautiful Amish country roads with spectacular floral scenes along the way and catered sags. I like to think of the routes as town and country rides. The B&Z century passes 16 quilt gardens. The ride starts in downtown Elkhart at Central Park. Or go to www.habitatec.com and click on Events.

    ReplyDelete