Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 18 - Mayhill to Artesia

Today was a 73 mile day. We started out again in 40 degree weather and rode about 20 miles before we shed the extra clothing. It was a fairly hard riding day because, once again, we caught a pretty hefty crosswind most of the day. One gal had four flats today. That's probably some sort of record for one day.

We had three gals join the trip yesterday to ride from Alamogordo, NM to Dallas. Mitzi and Toni are from Atlanta, GA and Jojo is from downtown Chicago. Tomorrow we will pass the 1000 mile mark for the trip. In many ways it feels like we haven't been doing this long enough to get 1000 in. In other ways it seems like we should be further than that.

I have still been trying to get a more comfortable fit on my bike. My tail is not the issue anymore. Instead it's the balance of weight distribution between my seat and and the handlebars. So we adjusted the handlebars and the seat to try and improve the weight distribution. I  suppose at the end of the day a lot of the comfort factor is a matter of personal preference in riding styles.

I continue to be amazed at how strong the riders are! We estimated that the average age of each rider is somewhere between 65 and 70 and each one can flat out ride. The next few days will be long, hard days covering between 80-95 miles each day in the Texas plains. If I am feeling up to it and the weather cooperates, I would like to get 2 or 3 centuries in. We'll see.

Devotional Thought:


God seems to drop little blessings along the way each day that brings encouragement to me. When we stopped for the day last night in Mayhill at Mayhill Baptist Church. One of the riders found a small banner in the Sunday School classroom we called home for the night. The banner read "God is there for you Jim". Obviously, that banner was for some other Jim but it didn't keep me from personalizing it. What a wonderful reminder of God's faithful presence and His desire to strengthen and encourage me along the way. It's also true for you! If you know Him through His Son, then God is there for you too. I challenge you to look daily for those little blessings He brings our way daily. "I will never leave you or forsake you." Hebrews 13:4

No comments:

Post a Comment