Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 32 - Vicksburg to Pelahatchie, MS

Today was about a 70 mile day. Temps in the low 80s, rolling hills, heavy crosswinds. I think I said the same thing yesterday. Except that we dodged stormy weather from overnight that took out the power at the church last night and was predicted for the day. We saw evidence of the ferocity of last night's storm in the downed limbs, branches and, in some cases, trees.

I had the privilege to meet with George for lunch today. George, his wife Frances and their family attended the church I pastored in Atlanta, TX over 20 years ago. We had a great time catching up with each other since we have not had much conversation in those 20 years. They invited me to dinner tonight (still in the future as of this writing) where Frances can join us as well. George showed me some of the tornado damage that was wrought in Jackson on April 15th. It definitely was a tornado judging from the damage I saw.

US Highway 80 was a study in contrasts today as it alternated from a frontage road for Interstate 20, to a small early 20th century-like two lane road barely worthy of the name, to a divided 4 lane highway with a lot of businesses on it and busy traffic. Personally, I liked the frontage road because it was nestled in the woods with not much traffic on it.

Devotional Thought:


Yesterday I ran into a couple people at a Popeyes Chicken over lunch. Sarah, a lady probably in her late 40s or early 50s came up to me and gave me a contribution (which I quickly passed off to coach sitting at the table next to me) and began telling her story. She was a survivor of neck cancer so she spoke with the notable paralysis that came from her surgery and mild facial disfiguration. But she was happy to be alive and shared a little bit of her faith story. She really appreciated what we were doing and wanted to simply "check us out". An elderly white man and his Afro-American caretaker also came in about the same time. Coach asked her a rather personal question: "Describe your relationship with this man as his caretaker." She replied, "I treat him like my father." Even in the south where vestiges of racial discrimination still live on, it was refreshing to see her answer transcend stereotypes and prejudice. I am sure that her heart was committed to being Christ's ambassador wherever she found herself.

We all have stories to tell and share. Part of being a Christ follower is that we take those opportunities and ask God to use our stories to impact for His glory the people we share them with. Are you a story teller of your faith adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment